Sunday, October 26, 2014

Writing Online, After Seth Godin Wrecked Squidoo

One of the profoundly great effects spreading out after the death of Squidoo is the need to look at other places to publish.

Some familiar sites got a fresh look, some newer ones a fresh chance.

The obvious place to look first is HubPages. Along with the Squidoo articles that transferred, I've written several new things. HP is much easier to write for than Squidoo was because of its better engineering.

I like to write content first offline, polish and correct it, before copying and pasting online. That process is smooth with HubPages. Squidoo couldn't handle even a quotation mark or an apostrophe, forcing excessive rewrites.

HubPages also gives me a variety of editing and SEO tools that I find useful.

The greatest benefit is that, since I have a few articles with very high traffic, the pay is better with HubPages. Squidoo's chaining everyone to Tier rankings penalized high traffic articles.

On the other hand, HubPages is about the least elegant-looking of all content sites.

The trade off, I think is worth it. The rest of the crowd...


  • InfoBarrel,  Scratch all this. I'm leaving it up to show how easily we can be fooled. InfoBarrel is a mess that actually blocks indexing, so articles can't be found in search. Some have speculated on the reasons, but I don't care what they are. Avoid InfoBarrel. "...recommended  by a friend, shows promise, if you're ready for a learning curve. Their revenue share is about the highest of any, but getting used to creating inside their modules takes some exercise and some brain cramps in transition. Waiting for content approval, a process made more difficult by confusing requirements, takes a lot of zip out of the publishing business."
  • Wizzley is a writers site I've alway liked. It's visual, like Squidoo, without being overweight as its model was. I've referred several people, including one of the best, Ruth Cox, a friend from Squidoo who's mastered it quickly. As much as I like Wizzley, though, I've never earned much there. Ruth reports doing well, however, so for some content creators, it works.
  • Bubblews is a strange site I signed up for and never tried. I didn't, even given the opening now, because there business model is incomprehensible to me. It looks like a recipe for failure in a flood of spam, a crash which will take its content down with it. Unlike Squidoo, Bubblews probably would never find a buyer. (My suspicions have been vindicated. Writers are fleeing Bubblews.)
  • Daily 2 Cents, as a content site, has a lot of people excited about writing a lot of smaller, income generating content, much like Bubblews, for which it may now be the go to option. Having posted only a single article, which was timely but slowly handled, I like a lot about the site, but I won't post there again. Two much energy understanding the guidelines and way too much waiting, a sure sign of an understaffed platform.
  • Finally, my long time #2, Seekyt, remains a site that's straightforward and easy to write for. It has the best and most responsive admin in the business and a friendly, communal atmosphere. The only drawback of which I'm aware is that, to earn Adsense revenue, you must have your own Google account, something that's not so easy to get these days.

Conclusion: Two months down the road from the Squidoo surrender, that's where I'm at. There are still a good number of sites available for online writers to earn, including some I haven't tried or mentioned here. If you have some interesting experiences you can share, please comment.

We're all interested in new places to create and be seen.

David Stone
Find all my books on my Amazon Author Page
Post a Comment